Last week Haley and I were running through my neighborhood and about half way through the 3 mile a run a small dog started following me. She didn't bark at me or try and bite me, she just ran right beside me, like I was her master. This little dog was one of the tiniest chihuahuas I have ever seen. She probably only weighed about 2lbs. but she ran with me the entire time, not slowing down once.
The dog ran with me all the way back to my house. When we stopped running she just ran around my feet, wanting me to play with her. I wasn't really sure what to do with her. She wasn't wearing a collar and I didn't want to just leave her, so I decided that I would put her in my backyard and then come up with a plan. I definitely didn't want to keep her!!!
I called Spencer and told him about the dog. I could tell that he got really excited! Spencer loves dogs, and has wanted a dog ever since we got married, but I never would let him get one. Spencer even had a chihuahua growing up, so he was extra excited about this dog that followed me home. We decided that we would make signs and post them up around the neighborhood, and hopefully someone would claim her.
At first I just left the dog in the backyard and ignored her. (There was no way I was going to get attached.) But as the day went on she looked more and more lonely. So I took Owen out there and we played with her. Owen LOVED her! He laughed at her and couldn't take his eyes off her. She liked him too! After playing with her she started to look hungry to me. So despite my efforts to not get attached, I went to the store and bought her some food, some dog treats, and a few other things I'm too embarrassed to admit buying.
When I got home from the store I went in the backyard and yelled, "Maggie, come eat!" It just slipped out. Oh know, I just named the dog! This is bad, I'm not going to want to give away a dog that I named! Right after that escaped my lips I immediately started thinking about who could take the dog if we couldn't find her owners. I came up with a short list of friends who might consider taking her. (Penny, you were at the top of my list. Kevin and Holley, you guys were up there too.) I just can't have a dog right now!
So Owen and I spent the rest of the day playing with Maggie. I was actually starting to think that I might be able to handle a dog, especially a super cute one who doesn't bark and loves my son.
When Spencer came home we decided to go drive around the neighborhood and ask around to see if anyone was missing a dog. No joke: the first person we asked said that his chihuahua was missing. Immediately I felt a little sad, I wanted to keep Maggie all to myself. I wanted to tell the man that the dog we found wasn't a chihuahua, so I wouldn't have to give her back, but I didn't.
Spencer and I drove home and got Maggie and took her home. Turns out the man had a little boy who was about 10, and it was his dog. When I saw how happy that little boy was to have his dog back, my heart melted! He thanked us and gave me a big hug. It felt so good to see that boy so happy and Maggie was happy to be home too. So I guess I learned that I might be able to handle a dog after all! Maybe Maggie will have puppies.
9 comments:
That is a sweet story. You were so good to take care of "Maggie" when she was lost.
So cute. I don't know that I would have taken her in. I don't know that I could handle a dog. How sweet that the little boy got his dog back!
how funny! Once you name a dog, it is yours!
We have a black lab and the dog hair makes me INSANE!!! She is almost 6 and is a great dog. but the dog hair is sick!
My Mom has a long haired chihuahua, Zoey. She is so high maintenance, probably because my mom treats her like a queen. annoying.
Maggie is cute! I'm glad Owen liked her!
Too funny- your such a sucker!!! Before you know it you guys will have a dog and then Paul and I wont be coming over anymore, because I am deathly afraid and Paul hates dogs! :)
This had me laughing, you can't name the dog!!! At least she was returned to her home and owner.
So are you thinking about a pet for Owen now?
Oh how sweet! My Chihuahua escapes sometimes, well actually she just hides in the nursery with the baby and I think she's escaped, but every time it happens my heart just breaks...so I know the little boy was SO happy to get his baby back! When are we going to get together?
AW...I totally got excited about the fact that you guys might have kept it! I couldn't believe what I was reading but I found myself getting all gitty about introducing Ruby to little Maggie!
It is bitter sweet isn't it! I am glad you thought of us, although we need another dog like a hole in the head.
Maybe sometime there is a little puppy, that STAYS a puppy, in the near future for the Hull family!
Cute dog! Maybe you just need another super cute baby! Owen is such a little heart throb!
Holly you are so funny! your story cracked me up! My kids are starting to ask for pets, and I just dont think I could handle it, I really cant stand taking care of any pet! but the other day Jake and I happened to wander into that little dog shop at victoria gardens, and Jake and I picked out which dogs we'd like to take home! I guess we are all suckers at heart!
Post a Comment