Friday, August 14, 2009

I never thought I would let this happen!

Every morning I need about 45 minutes to myself to get ready for the day. It has become more and more difficult to find something for Owen to do during this time so he isn't right on top of me (sometimes literally!!) Usually I pull out a "special" toy that he doesn't get to play with that often or I give him some books and turn on a kid's CD, but this morning he wasn't having any of that, so I decided to resort to TV. Owen has watched TV before, but there has never been a show that has captured his attention for an entire 30 minutes, until today. Since there wasn't a lot to choose from I reluctantly turned it to Barney.

Now let me give you my own personal history with the big purple dinosaur: When I was younger, probably junior high age, my Aunt used to watch me after school along with about 10 other kids. She had this Barney video that some of the kids LOVED so it seemed like it was on ALL THE TIME!!! I grew to despise that video and that's where my hatred of Barney began. I always told myself that I would never let my kids watch Barney.

So back to this morning....Owen sat in front of the TV for the entire 30 minute show and did not
take his eyes off the screen for a second! It was amazing!! I actually had time to get ready plus do a couple of other things without him interrupting me. By turning on Barney today I did something that I swore I would never let my kids do, but who am I to take away my child's joy and happiness that comes from that singing, dancing, slightly annoying dinosaur?? So I guess Barney is here to stay (in limited amounts at a time).

I have something else that I would like to add to this post, but I think only my brother and the Rollins family will understand. I swear the Barney episode that Owen watched today was almost identical to that stupid video we watched as kids. When I first heard the songs I instantly recognized them....do you remember the song about all the raindrops being lemon-drops and gum-drops and standing outside with your mouth open wide?? I know that same song was on that video! Are new Barney episodes even being made or are all the old ones from the early 90's just being re-played? Even the kids on the show today were dressed like they existed a decade ago. Anyway I realize that I am rambling now....just wanted to get some feedback from those who know what the heck I'm talking about!!

4 comments:

dillon and kim said...

hahaha!!!! I can't stop laughing!!! Emily was OBSESSED with Barney. I absolutely remember that stupid song and thinking how much I hated that show! Now that song is in my head and all my childhood memories of the early '90's are flooding back.

Dustin and Kellie said...

So so so funny! I grew up with younger cousins and also had feelings about Barney (probably not as strongly as yours though) but it's amazing how some things you swore you'd never allow your kids to do suddenly is tempting under the circumstances. :) I am now a big fan of letting my kids watch tv (how else can you get things done?) but I always said I'd never do that.

And to answer your question.. yes they are making new Barney's. I watch my friends two kids three days a week and her one little girl LOVES Barney. They have a couple new dinos helping out.. all that fun stuff. That is so funny they played the same one you hated on the one random day you turned it on! So funny! The new ones aren't so bad- but then again I am usually making lunch when they're on so I really don't pay attention (which is probably why I don't think they're that bad.) :)

Sami said...

Holly this post was too funny. Of course I remember the song. Do you remember the video about going to the moon, that's that one my dad always talks about. Good old Barney. You got to kind of like him, because kids just love him. Lately Cam's new thing is Thomas the train. If you want to change it up you could try that. It plays on PBS here, but our library has tons of DVD's. Anyway, good memories. We had some fun times (PeeWee Scouts, Let's All Come In, shows at the pool, oh dear)

Jaime Rubio said...

I am so LOL!!!!!!! Barney is totally annoying but if Owen likes well--it helps, right? I have to admit, on the same wave length as Barney, I could never understand the draw to Teletubbies! Aren't those things just too creepy?