Thursday, August 27, 2009

Music

I have a request for all those reading this post right now. As most of you know I am currently serving in the Young Women at church. I have been working with these girls now for a little bit over two years and I have decided that I LOVE teenage girls, especially all the ones in my ward!!

Next Sunday (September 6) I am going to be teaching a lesson on how positive, up-lifting music can affect our thoughts and possibly actions. I would really like to hear from as many people as possible about any kind of experience you have had with music. Whether there is a certain song that always puts you in a good mood or if you listen to music to calm you down, I want to hear any and all stories that you may have. If you happen to have a negative story about certain music I would like to hear those stories too. I would love to be able to share as many stories with the girls as possible and show them just how up-lifting music can be as well as how sometimes music can affect us in a negative way.

Just to give you an idea here are the personal stories I plan on sharing with the girls:
1. Every time I hear the song "One" by U2 I am automatically reminded of my husband and our wedding day. This was the first song Spencer and I ever danced to. We were both 15 and we were at a church dance and Dustin Bennett dedicated that song to us. "One" became "our song" so on our wedding day we decided that it would be the first song we would dance to as a married couple. That song always brings me back to our wedding and reminds me just how much I love my husband.
2. When I'm running I LOVE to listen to "Eye of a Tiger" from the Rocky soundtrack. That song gets me so pumped up and helps me run better!
3. Any time that Owen is being fussy or naughty I will start singing either "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" or "Patty-Cake" and he immediately calms down...no joke!! Those are soothing songs for him and it works every time!!
4. On more of a negative note I actually just saw this example on TV a couple nights ago. These guys were listening to some heavy metal song in their bedroom and were head-banging and jumping around on the bed. The song got them so wound up it put them in a different state of mind and one of the guys jumped out of the 4-story window to his death. Then the other one decided that he couldn't be without his head-banging buddy so he jumped out behind him. Definitely a great example of how music can effect us negatively. (I saw this on the show called 1000 Ways to Die. Spencer loves this stupid show because it documents the top 1000 crazy ways real people have died).

So I would love to hear from all of you. It doesn't matter if your LDS or not....I want to here ALL stories! I was even thinking of putting together a CD of all the positive songs I hear about from your examples and handing one out to each girl after the lesson. If you have any other ideas/suggestions for me about what else I can do in my lesson I would love the input! Thanks for helping me out!!

***If you think your story is too long to leave in my comments send me an e-mail!***

6 comments:

Cam and Chelle said...

This is kinda a diff. example, but my english professor would play classical music while we studied, took tests, or wrote papers because it helped us to focus and studies show you do better on tests...

dillon and kim said...

Whenever I hear the Barney song it makes me want to kill myself...

Just kidding! I was just thinking about this the other day. I noticed that when Dillon listens to 'his music' while he's driving (rap and heavy metal), he suddenly becomes a horrible driver, like he's on fast and the furious or something. It's scary and I honestly believe it's because of the lyrics and the rage in what he listens to.

I also thought about when we sang Families Can be Together Forever at grandpa's funeral. That was probably the first time I remember feeling the spirit and I still tear up when I sing it.

Hope that helps, it sounds like you're the best leader ever!

MM said...

I was on sugardoodle.net the other day (love that place) and found this amazing article by Elder Cook (not the current apostle, we're takling Gene R. I think) and how he met Mick Jagger while on a plane trip from Mexico. His conversation with Mick was the basis for a talk he gave at Ricks College a few years ago. It's amazing to read--Mick comes out and says that the purpose of his music is to drive teens to have more sex and that his goal is just to make as much money as possible. You should search for it I think the article was listed as "a conversation with Mick Jagger" Good luck!

the danielson's said...

I am not a huge music person, but I do keep CD's of primary songs in my car at all times because anytime the kids get upset or too hyper or start fighting I turn it on and they always calm down! Just the other day I used it for Camille who was screaming and it calmed her right away.

Heidi said...

I LOVE music and always have...so its been so hard for me with your email, but I dont even know where to start or what to write....

I have always loved music. My husband and I always say we love those old 80's-90's slow ballads because it reminds us of being kids listening to KOST driving in the back of our parents car...examples....
Ballerina Girl- Lional Richie, The Police, The Cars, Elton John.

I have also always been a HUGE 80's music fan. It is so fun and makes me wanna dance. On our grad night everyone was at the club-like music place, and me and my 4 best friends found the 80's music and it was ONLY us and we just started dancing like crazy and had one of the most fun nights of our life! And by the end of the night we had like 30 other crazy 80's dancing people with us.

A song that ALWAYS makes me happy is "Lovely Day" I dont even know who its by, but it just makes me happy when I listen to it.

My husband and I both love James Taylor..my husband is a HUGE fan, so since we have been married it has been fun to go to 6 of his concerts. Its just chill music, reminds us of being kids listening on our cassette players.

My first cassettes and walkman I ever had was Paula Abdul and Janet Jackson...and I thought I was hot stuff...

OK I could go on and on and on and on.

My most favorite church YW's song is "Stand/Walk tall your a duaghter of God" when I was a YW I (for some reason) alwasy cried when I heard that song, it was just so beautiful and hit and emotional vein in my body. I have always loved it, although I couldnt sing it worth a lick.

Jaime Rubio said...

Although I didn't respond before you gave this lesson--I just wanted to let you know that I gave the same lesson and used your example of the guys listening to the head banging music and what happened to them! The girls could not believe it! I hope that your lesson went well as I think that mine did! Thanks for the story!