Monday, September 14, 2009

Keeping Tradition

I realize that I have been a blogging slacker recently. I haven't meant to be, I guess I have just been busy. These next couple of posts I will just have to play a little bit of catch-up. But before I write anymore I have to take a minute and thank everyone who helped me out with my lesson on music (from my last post). In total I received just over 50 personal stories about music. I absolutely LOVED reading every one's different experiences I was on such a spiritual high those two weeks in preparation for my lesson from reading all the positive musical stories. My lesson went better than expected and the girls loved hearing all the stories...it was awesome!! So thank-you, thank-you, thank-you to everyone!!!

Now onto the "real" post:
Over Labor Day weekend Spencer, Owen, and myself joined my mom, Cody and Allison in Anaheim for the annual Disneyland 5k run. We went out Friday night and stayed in this awesome hotel that my mom booked; but the highlight of the night wasn't the hotel, it was dinner. We went to Sonic!!! I have been craving Sonic for so long now, it was so satisfying to finally sink my teeth into some tater-tots and suck down a creamy watermelon slush! I loved every second of being at Sonic.....FINALLY!!
Saturday morning was race day. Here's my mom and I right before it started. It was a nice day to join 4,000 people in a race through Disneyland.
As we lined up at the starting line, we noticed that ALL kinds of people (both old and young) can enjoy what the Disney 5k has to offer.
As the race got closer and closer, my practices got less and less. It had been so hot, that most mornings I just walked instead of running. I told myself that I would just walk the 5k and still have a good time. Well once the race started I got way to competitive with myself and ended up running the entire thing!! I couldn't believe I did it with such little practice, and still managed a pretty decent time. (You can't really tell, but that's me on the far left with the pink shirt and black pants)
Minnie and Mickey Mouse were there at the end of the race waving to all the competitors.

It was a fun experience. And yes, I will do it again next year. This has become a family tradition. Now next year Spencer has to do it!!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I saw your husband at the race when I was with April and Wes, but he doesnt know who I am...but I missed you, my kids did it too...

We can do it next year together. I need to do it, I havent ran in a while now.

Dustin and Kellie said...

That is so awesome that you did that! Go you! I think someday I need to do that. What a great experience. When I was little my mom and I did some marathon. I don't remember at all how long it was, what the purpose was, anything. But now that I'm an adult, I think I need to. It looks like you really enjoy it. How many races/marathons have you been in? You are my role model!

HunnyHull said...

I am glad your lesson went well. I actually wracked my brain for hours trying to come up with something for you, and I couldn't think of a single thing. Sorry about that. I am glad to hear so many others pulled through for you.

Unknown said...

Ok I need more healthy traditions like this! Great job on the run.