Friday, September 18, 2009

Who am I??

Last week I did something that I never really thought I would do. I went camping...for 3 days....in a tent....in the dirt...without any electricity or any other modern-day conveniences. For those of you who know me well, I know you must be in shock right now, but it's true, I camped! And you know what?? It wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated, and I had fun! We went with our friends the Duncans and the Batrmesses and we stayed at the campground NEAR the ocean in San Clemente. When Paul was first trying to convince me to go he told me that the campground was ON the beach. Unless you define being ON the beach as being camped on a hill and then having to hike a 1/2 mile down to the water, we were NEAR the water.

The campsite was on top of these cliffs. The walk down wasn't so bad, but going back up was HORRIBLE!! Especially lugging all our beach gear and a small child....not my definition of ON the water at all!!
The other bad part about camping? Dirty kids and diapers that look like this!! Can we say "diaper rash?"
Other than a lot of dirt and having to hike up-hill everything else was great...seriously! We really got into cooking our meals, and learned a lot about dutch oven cooking which is fabulous by the way! I have been craving that cobbler ever since we have been back!!
It was great to be able to relax at the beach everyday and enjoy the perfect weather.
There were so many kids around for Owen to play with, he was in heaven!! He was such a good boy the entire time, despite his lack of sleep.
The best part? Every night we got to see this!!
And every night we all sat around the camp fire talking, eating, and playing games. We loved it! (I can't believe I'm posting this scary picture of myself!!)
So I did it....and I even committed to doing it again in two years. Summer 2011 we will do it all over again, but I think we will pick a different location....closer to the beach! Anyone want to come?

6 comments:

Cam and Chelle said...

Love all the fun updates! So glad you finally got your Sonic! I think of you every time we go [sorry, we go like 1-2 times a week for happy hour specials] Anyway, camping, huh?! Remember when we tried that at Rigby Lake? Jace was only like 3 months old! FUN! I think I've been 2-3 times since then...

Melissa said...

You should check out Santa Rosa Campgrounds, in Carpinteria. It's around a 2 hour drive, or so, from Rancho Cuc. You are actually "on the sand" if you manage to get a "beach row" spot. Otherwise, you are just off the beach. (But it only adds about a minute to your walking time to the shoreline.) I know you would love it! And, by the way, our jaws hit the floor when we read that you went camping! Total Shocker!!! Glad you had fun though!

HunnyHull said...

We live in Dutch Oven city! Everyone here does it. We have had some awesome dinners from it. Glad to see you are getting out and having some fun.

By the way, congrats on the big news. I am really excited for you guys. That is great.

Marti and Leif Stockdale said...

camping on the actual beach is so much better although I love camping but my newest thing i want to try RVing which I have never done but i hear its way better than camping :)

Unknown said...

Brett loves to camp too! I love to came in hotels with showers and toilets! I am proud of you! Camping with kids is a BIG process, but it can be so much fun. We want to come next time!!!

Jill Duncan said...

We had a lot of fun with you guys! That hike was killer though!! Can't wait for our next camp out!