Friday, February 22, 2013

Goals

Okay, so I know I have been slacking on this blog. Ever since the move, I just haven't gotten back into the habit. I have plenty of good excuses as to why I haven't been up-dating and some times I think I'm ready to just call it quits, but I really do love having our life documented and being able to look back on all the fun (and not so fun) things we haven done. I guess I'm not ready to surrender just yet.
I know that we are already a good month and a half into the new year, but I made some goals at the beginning of the year that I would like to document here and now....you know, give me a little bit of accountability! I try to be realistic in my goal setting so I am able to see some success.
 
Goal #1: Keep this blog up-dated!! I'm not going to backtrack and try and catch up on all that I have missed, but I am making it a goal to not miss anything else major this year. Part of keeping this blog up-dated helps me with one of my next goals which is.....
Goal #2: Get scrapbooking!! It's a struggle to keep up on scrapbooks for my kids, but it's important to me (and Spencer too, even though he may not admit it) to keep a memory book of their lives. I am grateful for my faithfulness in blogging in the past because I am able to look back on major events and remember them in detail when it comes time to scrapbook those events. I know I won't be able to get all caught up on all 3 kids this year, but the goal is to make time, and do what I can!! Since scrapbooking is something I enjoy this should be a fun goal to work on this year.
Goal #3: Stay Active. I have been pretty good at staying active, but there is always room for improvement. With Spencer just being called to teach early morning Seminary for our church my morning work-outs are going to suffer. It's going to take some creativity to find time to work out. I would love to actually weigh what my driver's license says I weigh...I think I can do it!! Ha ha!!
Goal #4: Participate in one athletic event per month. This goes along with goal #3. So far I have been doing well with this goal. 
In January I participated in the Ontario Mills 10k run. Last minute I ended up having to run pushing Preston in the stroller, but I was still pleased with my performance. Time was 51 minutes flat. My goal had been 50 minutes, but considering the stroller I was happy with how I did.
 
 I competed in the Mermaid Half Marathon in San Diego a couple Saturdays ago for my February race. My friend Jennifer and I did it together and we had a good time. It was a beautiful, yet difficult, run. I did better than I had anticipated with a time of 1:45:35. My best half marathon time thus far and the first one that wasn't all down hill. I also got the cutest race shirt I've ever gotten, which was an added bonus! :)
In April I am all set to compete in the SoCal Ragnar Relay for the second time. This go around I am the captain of my own team which I put together. I'm thrilled with everyone on my team and really looking forward to competing and spending quality time with friends! This has been a long time in the making...can't wait for April!
Then in June I will run the Fontana half-marathon. This is an all down-hill race so I am hoping to improve my time from what I just did two weeks ago.
 
I'm still searching for races to to in both March and May, so if anyone has any suggestions let me know!! I'm hoping that I will run a full marathon during the second half of the year...just have to find the right one.
 
Goal #5: Make new friends. This sounds kind of lame, but it's something that I really want to achieve this year. I really do have the best group of girlfriends anyone could ever want, and I know we will always be friends but it's hard living so far away from them now. It's hard going from seeing your friends everyday and always getting together and hanging out to having very little "girl time." It's been difficult for me to fit in with some of the girls in my new area. Everyone has been really nice, but it's hard being the "new girl" in an already well established social circle. I would really love to make some other "mom friends" so we can get together with our kids and have a good time.
 
So there you have it. My goals, in writing, for 2013. Wish me luck!!

3 comments:

Dustin and Kellie said...

Good luck. You really, truly amaze me. I love how active you are. I think my motivation for getting active just needs to be reading your blog. You are my inspiration! I love that you wrote down your goals for the new year. I honestly don't think I set a single goal for 2013. Maybe I need to. Usually I do a good job setting goals (even if I come up short keeping them sometimes). All I could think about at the end of last year was getting Beckham here. So if you count that as a resolution, I'm done! JK.

When you get a chance we'd love to see some pics of the new house!

And don't worry, I'm sure you'll be posting about awesome play dates with new frends that will make me super jealous and encourage me to be a cooler mom in no time. You always do the coolest things.

Sarah Hull said...

That is so awesome Holly! You are an inspiration! That is really cool that you have beat your best times after having your third baby! You go girl!!
We are just now getting into some 5K's! Katie has been wanting to get more into racing, so it's been pushing us to sign up for more races and it's been fun!
Yay for Seminary brothers! That is cool that they are both teachers now! I was so nervous at first, but now, I never want him to stop teaching. It has changed our family and life. It's been so great! I am thrilled for you guys!!

Heidi said...

1. Cant believe you are teaching seminary. GREAT luck! You will be great though.

2. Sorry about Ragnar, I just have NOT found the time (I havent figurered it out yet) since I have had Tate. I will get there.

3. I am going to TRY to do Fontana Days as well, so let me know about long runs on Sats so I can possibly join, although at this point I will DIE.

4. You HAVE to do St.George, that was my 1st marathon and it is AWESOME! Similar to Fontana's half, great first one, lots of fun, lots of LDS people and you could even stay with my sister in-law. We almost always go up (every other year) for this one, Ned's dad runs it every year.