Tuesday, July 7, 2009

4th Stuff

I have to say that the 4th of July has to be my favorite holiday. I love it and look forward to it every year. This year we had so many fun things planned...I was getting anxious waiting for the day to arrive. I love the hot weather, swimming, barbecuing, wearing patriotic colors, family, yummy summer food, music, and especially laying on a blanket and watching fireworks.

To ease my excitement and anticipation for the 4th on the 2nd we joined Cody and Allison for a little camp-out. We had a blast watching Cody cook us dinner on a camp stove and then LOVED devouring the toasted to perfection marshmallows Spencer roasted.

Finally July 4th arrived and guess what?? I was soooo sick!! I was so upset!! I couldn't get out of bed for the 5k run and pancake breakfast that I was so looking forward to. I missed the yummy food and barbecue!! I even missed the 4th of July party at our friend's house and the fireworks afterwards. Spencer took Owen all by himself and I sadly laid on the couch....I was so bummed out!! Not only did I miss the entire 4th of July, but I missed watching Owen experience his first fireworks show, which Spencer said he LOVED (but not the noise).
By Sunday morning I felt much better. I would only get sick for one day, and of course on a super fun holiday!!! My spirits soon lifted because Sunday after church Spencer, Owen, and I packed up the car and headed to Lake Arrowhead!
I know I've been to lake Arrowhead before, but I had forgotten just how beautiful it is. Blue skies, fresh air, cooler temperatures, beautiful blue water, fun shops and restaurants...what a fun little get-a-way that really is a lot closer to home than I thought! We LOVED it! The trip was even more fun because our friends Scott, Haley, and little Jackson got to come along too!! Here is a really bad picture of our little group (how come I'm never in any pictures?)
Spencer's parents rented this beautiful condo right next to the Lake for the week. Unfortunately none of Spencer's family could go, but we went right ahead and took full advantage of the place!! It was so nice of Diane and Alan to let us use the condo for 2 days.
After spending a relaxing Sunday evening, Monday morning we were ready to explore Arrowhead. After a FABULOUS breakfast at The Waffle House we purchased some "duck food" and let the kids go at it.
Owen could not get enough of the ducks. He loved throwing the food at them. He also loved watching all the near-by boats....maybe one day we will have our own boat (wishful thinking I know).
The boys and their daddies feeding the ducks on the dock.
After the ducks we headed down to the water. Relaxing and swimming in the clean water was my favorite part of the day.

A little bit of lunch on the beach.
Both boys did so well the entire trip. They played well together (which is unusual for Owen) and even shared a few hugs and kisses!! Owen kept looking for Jackson when he was taking a nap.
Love that little pot-belly!!
We had such a great time. The best mini-trip we have taken in awhile. I would highly recommend Lake Arrowhead for some good family fun!! We loved all the shops and restaurants which I neglected to get pictures of....oh well guess I will just have to take some when we go back on Friday!!! YEAH!!
I know this really doesn't go with my "4th of July" post, but there are a few things that I would like to document about Owen while I am thinking about it.
1. Owen successfully went into nursery on Sunday all by himself. Spencer dropped him off and Owen was bawling when Spencer left. I went and checked on him about 10 minutes later and I could hear him laughing from down the hall. I looked in the peep-hole and saw him playing blocks with one of the leaders and laughing hysterically when he knocked the blocks down. He was so happy! He lasted the entire time....YEAH!!
2. Owen has had some trouble with hitting and throwing tantrums lately. We have started putting him in time-out and it has been working beautifully! He knows what time-out is and will usually stop being naughty if I tell him he will have to be in a time-out.
3. Owen saw his first movie in the theater last week. That was an adventure! He did pretty well, luckily the movie only cost 50 cents!

3 comments:

The McGary Family said...

Sorry you got sick, sounds like you had fun in Lake Arrowhead to make up for it. We were in Big Bear all July 4th weekend, enjoying the mountains and fresh air too.
Owen is getting so big, yeah for him for being a big boy in nursery!

Marti and Leif Stockdale said...

So I have decided that I cannot keep up with all of your posts! I was gone 3 weeks and there are like 8 new posts! no im just kidding. I thought Thanksgiving was your favorite holiday? Well all the pictures are cute i always feel like I am never in any of the pictures too! of course there is a talent to taking pictures and my husband doesnt have it! So the pictures he takes normally come out awful so its better this way.

aprilaleman said...

Heck yes we are still friends... but because of this we better invited to the next Arrowhead trip! :) What's even funnier is that even before reading your comment we were talking about having you guys come over for games.