Thursday, March 18, 2010

Audrey's Birth

Hello everyone!! I am sure that most of you have heard by now that our sweet baby girl was born this last Sunday, March 14th. I have a ton of pictures I want to post and a ton to write about, but since I don't have a lot of time right now I just want to write down her birth story while it is fresh in my mind. So you all are going to have to just deal with all the slimy baby pics for now and take my word for it when I say Audrey is the most beautiful baby girl ever!!

I was really hoping that Audrey would be born March 11th since both Owen and I have birthdays on the 11th, but I guess it didn't work out like I had planned it in my head. Early Sunday morning around 5:30 a.m. my water broke while I was sleeping. I immediately popped out of bed and ran to the bathroom. I woke up Spencer and we called my parents so they could come stay with Owen. Since I wasn't having any contractions we just took our time getting ready to go to the hospital. I showered and packed a bag while Spencer got Owen's stuff ready to go to Grandma's house. We eventually arrived at the hospital about 10 minutes till 8:00. By this time I had just started to have some contractions.

It was so nice to be able to go to the new Kaiser Hospital so close to our house. It was only a 5 minute drive....loved it! After we got settled into our room I got checked and was told I was dilated to a two. After about an hour or so of contractions I went ahead and got an epidural...I wasn't going to kid myself, I could never labor without the help of drugs!! LOVED the epidural and the catheter, I'm not even joking!! I took a little nap and when I woke up I was checked again and I was already a 10 and ready to start pushing.

Seriously it was the easiest thing ever. The epidural worked wonders and I didn't feel a thing. The nurse had to tell me when I was having a contraction so I could push. I was calm the entire time and was actually enjoying the moment. After about 7 rounds of pushing (about 25 minutes) a beautiful baby girl entered the world at 1:36 p.m. The only thing that weirded me out a little bit about the birth was when the doctor put the slimy baby on my chest right after she was delivered, I could of done without that, but that's just me.

Here is our little Audrey seconds after being born.
She weighed in at 7 pounds and 10 ounces and was 19.75 inches long. I was surprised because I thought she was going to be a lot bigger, at least 8 pounds.

I happen to think she looks A LOT like Owen did when he was born, which means both of my kids look like their dad....I guess it just wasn't in the cards for me to have my own mini-me this time.
Spencer and I bonding with the new bundle of joy.
Our baby didn't have a name until the day after she was born. We had such a difficult time deciding on what to name her. It came down to three choices:
1. Audrey Belle
2. Bailey Anne
3. Cali Anne
After spending the first day with her it was obvious that she was Audrey Belle, and we couldn't be happier with it!!
I can't wait to post more, hopefully I will have a chance tomorrow. I can tell you that I think I am adjusting well and I haven't had any major emotional breakdowns, so that is a plus. I am LOVING having a little girl and I can assure you that I have already taken full advantage of hair bows and accessories!!

13 comments:

Fife Family said...

Congrats! You make giving birth sound so easy! I'm glad everything went smoothly and I love her name. I like how you were able to incorporate your maiden name. :) I wanted to use Belle for Audras middle name but we ended up going with Brielle!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations Holly & Spencer! Audrey is such a beautiful baby and we cannot wait to meet her! Loved reading her birth story and your endorsement of the epidural! :) We love you guys!

Heidi said...

YEAH! Congrats! I didnt realize the time was here already, congrats! My sis-in-law had hers this week too.

Sarah Hull said...

She is so gorgeous! We can't wait to meet her in person on Sunday!! Congrats again and again!!!

Unknown said...

She is beautiful! I LOVE HER! Congratulation. Let us know if you need anything.
PS. I think Spencer left your little diaper bag at my house :)

The McGary Family said...

Audrey is beautiful, CONGRATS!!!

Amanda said...

She looks like Owen!!!! how fun!!!! I don't get any credit for any of my kids...they both look like Kevin...

You look GREAT!!!! Congrats again and enjoy them both! You will love it!

michelle said...

Congratulations! LOVE the name, I'm so happy the birth went well and she's here safe and sound.

What's Owen's take?

p.s. my two kids looked a lot alike when they were born and now they look so different. You never know. =)

Crys said...

Oh I am so excited for you! She is gorgeous, but that was a give in. Can't wait to see and hear more. Good luck

The Benches said...

I am so excited for your family! I love the name! She is so beautiful! Congrats!

Dustin and Kellie said...

YAY HULL FAMILY!!! We are so excited for you! She is beautiful! I think Audrey is a beautiful name! YAY! We are counting down the days til we get to meet her and til we get to see you guys!

aprilaleman said...

Congrats... love hearing easy birth stories. Makes me not so frightened when my time comes. We will need to come by and see you all soon. :)

Tyler and Jill said...

Holly,
She is beautiful! I love the name Audrey. And I'm glad you shared your labor story because I'm getting freaked out. You made it sound like it wasn't a big deal. I hope the same goes for me. So fun to see your girl.