About a week ago after my morning walk (which has gotten slower and slower these last few weeks) Owen and I headed to Costco to pick up some cupcakes for Young Women's that night. I was wearing cut-off sweat pants, a ratty t-shirt that barely covered my HUGE belly (gross I know), running shoes, and my hair...well it was pulled back into a messy, sweaty, pony-tail. I still had a little bit of make-up on from the previous day, so picture smeared mascara under my eyes and eyelashes that were mostly stuck together. So I was pretty much a hot mess. Now let me tell you that I don't always go out looking like this, but since I walked at my friend Haley's house that morning and she lives super-close to Costco and I HAD to go there that day I decided to just make the quick trip looking like a slob. The plan was to walk directly to the back of the store, pick up my cupcake order, walk back up to the front, make my purchase, and be back to the safety of my car in five minutes or less. Since I am blogging about this simple event you may have figured out that my plan didn't quite go according to plan.
I put Owen in a shopping cart and started to make a beeline for the bakery section. I successfully weaved through the crowd of people (doesn't anyone work??) and made it to the back of the store in about 45 seconds....I had the cake display case is view. Just as I was about to turn to the far left corner of the store someone caught my eye, crap someone I know!!! I quickly darted behind the massive shelf of bread and peaked my head around the corner to see if the person saw me. Nope, they were going about their business as normal, Phew!! Now let me tell you that this wasn't someone I would normally see out and about, this was someone I haven't seen in probably 9 years. I stood there behind the bread staring at this person to make sure that is was indeed the person I thought it was....yep, it sure was! This person looked great, pretty much the same as the last time I saw them. I sat and watched this person for awhile and prayed that they wouldn't come over for some bread. I couldn't bare the thought of how humiliating it would be if this person saw me looking the way I did!! What was I thinking going out in public looking like this???
Thank goodness Owen was in a good mood and didn't make a lot of noise, so we were able to hide out until this person left. As soon as I watched this person walk away I quickly picked up my cupcakes and practically ran to the check-out and then literally ran to my car. How embarrassing!! It may have been nice to stop and talk to this person I haven't seen in so long, but there was no way I was going to do so looking like a big, fat, pregnant, slob!!
When I was a teenager I always told myself that I would never go anywhere without make-up or "appropriate" clothes on, but now I find myself doing it ever so often. Even though I haven't gone out in public looking like a mess since this incident, I'm sure it will happen again. And I have to admit that this wasn't the first time I've tried to hide from someone I know while at a store. So I want to hear from all of you...when is the last time you went out looking awful and saw someone you knew? Did you hide or did you say "hi"? I don't think I'm the only one who has done this before!!
4 comments:
ha ha... your funny. I go out more often than not in the state you just mentioned. I guess I have no shame. I like getting ready so I do it 2 a week or if Wes and I "go out" otherwise I feel fine and dandy in the state you mentioned. :)
SO funny!!!! I swear it get's worse.
The other day, i found myself in public with sweat pants, sweat shirt, red clogs and....... SOCKS. Socks and red clogs! I could not even believe myself!
Then not too long ago, I went to Target looking like I should have still been in bed and I saw an old high school friend that I have not seen in 14 years!!!! As we chatted I had to keep reminding her that I don't typically look like this. I promise! I am sure she was like "Ya right!!!"
And one more thing.... OH MY GOSH your baby ticker says NINE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!! That is so exciting!
Oh my gosh... not clogs!!! CROCS!!!! I meant crocs. BIG difference!
Oh Holly, You're a hoot! I can totally relate to this. Friday is my cleaning day and I don't shower, have the smeared makeup, exc. but find myself sometimes having to run somwhere before saturday (ironically it's usually Costco.)
I guess I'm twice the loser because even if it's a rare occassion when I've "gotten ready" (really only happens on Saturday date night and Sunday for church...yikes!) if I see someone out and about from high school or something I usually hid or avoid them anyway because I'm antisocial and hate the akwardness. I even take it to the point of not answering the door if I'm not expecting anyone even if I know who it is.
I also found myself more concious of this when I was pregnant, I guess it's the whole, "no wait, I really am skinny, I promise!" At least you're almost done and you were clearly pregnant. I remember running into someone at that annoying gained some weight but not big enough to show yet stage and I could tell they were too embarrassed to ask if I was expecting, we exchanged hi's then she left before I could tell I was her I was pregnant. I can just hear this person saying, "I ran into Kim Clayton the other day and boy has she gone down hill!"
Post a Comment