Friday, March 19, 2010
Meeting Baby Sister
A couple of hours after Audrey was born my parents brought Owen to the hospital to meet his new little sister. I had visions of Owen running in the room and giving me a big hug and kiss and then giving his sister kisses all while wearing the cute "big brother" t-shirt I previously purchased for this very event. But of course reality was nowhere near the image I saw so clearly in my head. Owen came into the room clinging to my mom. He kept telling her that he was scared and that he wanted to go home. He wouldn't even come near me or Spencer, he just wanted my mom. He was wearing the cute shirt I bought him, but his half-cut hair (a story for another time) and cracker crumb face just wasn't the cute little boy I imagined. I was crushed that he didn't want to see me and I found it difficult to hold back the tears.
After a few minutes of Owen crying and telling my mom that he was scared Spencer let him play with the camera, which is something he always wants to do, but we never let him. We just let him take as many pictures as he wanted. He actually took this picture and I thought it was pretty funny and surprisingly centered, so I posted it!
The camera did the trick and he stopped crying and we eventually coaxed him to get on the bed by me to take some pictures.
Don't let this picture fool you, Owen did NOT want anything to do with me, but Spencer bribed him with more crackers to take this picture with me. I think Spencer was doing all that he could to keep me from having a full on crying fit....like I said, it was hard to hold back the tears when my son kept saying, "Mommy scary."
We tried to get Owen to hold his sister in the hospital, but he wasn't having it. I kind of expected that, I didn't expect him to deny me though!!
Once we brought the baby home, thank goodness Owen loved me again!! We gave him a gift and told him that his baby sister got it for him. He was so excited to rip open his present!
And even more excited to see that Audrey got him a race-track!! Owen played with this thing for like 2 hours straight and has been playing with it every day since. It's been a great distraction for him while I am trying to figure this whole "2 kids thing" out.
Owen still hasn't shown a whole lot of interest in Audrey, and we haven't pushed it either. The other night though, he asked us if he could hold the baby. He was actually really excited about it.
He kept giving her kisses, it was the sweetest thing ever!! Finally my little vision came true!!
Overall I have to say that Owen has been taking this fairly well. I expected him to start acting out more, but that really hasn't happened. He does seem to be a little bit more whiny and more attention-seeking, but it could be a lot worse. Each morning he asks me where his sister is and wants to see her. He gets to peek at her while she is in her crib and once he sees her he is ready to go about his normal day. It will be interesting to see how things change once Audrey becomes a little more demanding because right now she still sleeps a lot...we will see!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
The same thing happened to us...and I cried too! Your baby is so cute! I had to laugh when I saw her name because the name Owen was our second choice when we had Grant and the name Audrey was our second choice when we had Gracie. Serioulsy cute names!
Your babies are SO cute! Owen cracks me up :) "Mommy Scary" I couldn't stop laughing. I think it is funny now, but I would have cried too :) We can't wait to meet her when she is a little bigger.
ps... why is your hair so perfect at the hospital?!?! I DO NOT have that kind of perfect hair after having a baby! So jealous!
First of all, congratulations!! I am in love with the name Audrey. I think it is so pretty and she is beautiful.
I think I had the same visions as you of "brother meet sister" and Nate could have cared less. You're not alone :)
Love her already! She is such a dolly! Congrats you guys!!
Post a Comment