Saturday, September 24, 2011

First Race

I asked Owen about a month ago if he thought he might want to run in a race like mommy does and he said he did, I didn't push him or anything. We bought him a pair of tennis shoes and practiced with him a few times, he was super excited about running in a race.


This morning the big day arrived and we drove out to Upland so Owen could run his very first race. It was a kid's 1k. He was excited to get a race t-shirt and insisted on wearing it in the race, despite it being about 10 sizes too big! I walked with Owen down to the starting line and held his hand, I could tell he was nervous. I told him that he didn't have to run if he didn't want to, but he said that he really wanted to do it. Once the buzzer went off we took off (he's 3, I didn't expect him to run all by himself!!) At first he was still feeling a little intimidated and just walked, but after he got going and saw his dad and grandma and uncle cheering for him he really started to run! I was so proud of him, and when he got a medal placed around his neck at the finish line I could tell that he was super proud of himself too. Such an accomplishment for a 3 year old!!

With his medal!!



After Owen's race this group all ran the 5k. Bet you can't guess who came in first out of us four? (Not that it's a competition or anything...)

Such a fun morning. I love that we can all enjoy doing something together as a family, I look forward to many other family runs in the future.


Oh, and for the record, while Owen was running, Audrey was screaming in her stroller because she wanted to be running too.....looks like she will join in on the family fun very soon!

3 comments:

The Benches said...

That is so awesome!

Amanda said...

great job! What a fun way to get your kids active! I should see if there are any here in the Boise area. I know Hannah would love it...but that means I would have to run....maybe in the spring when i'm not 9 months with child!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations Owen! We are so proud of you!