Monday, August 20, 2012

Head Banger

Warning: Post contains some seriously disgusting pictures. Don't view if you have a weak stomach!!
After having a fabulous vacation in Montana for a week our first day back home was a lot less fabulous. To make a long story short, here is the run-down of how my day went.
After going to bed around 2:00 that Friday morning I had to get up early to get Preston to his 2 month Dr. appointment. I spent the morning rushing around trying to make it to the appointment on time, but once I got there I was told that Preston's insurance had been cancelled and that he wasn't going to be seen unless I was willing to pay an obscene amount of money. So we went home without seeing the doctor.
 Later that day I realized that my camera had gotten left on the airplane...ahhhh really??! I thought my camera was gone for sure, but luckily someone did turn it in and I did get it back, but that day I was just so upset at the thought of loosing not only my nice camera, but all the pictures from our vacation as well.
Spencer and I were so tired from our trip and all the craziness that happened our first day home all we wanted to do was get a good nights sleep. We both fell asleep almost instantly, but around midnight we were awoken by a loud THUD! Spencer jumped out of bed and found that Owen had rolled out of his bed in his sleep and hit his head on his footstool. The cut was a bad one....a real bad one. I'm so thankful Spencer was home because I don't think I would have been able to handle all that blood and my screaming child myself. Spencer was so calm and knew exactly what to do. Just look at that gash...not something I wanted to deal with on my own. 
Spencer bandaged up the gash as best he could and took Owen to the ER to have it looked at. They spent 3 hours in the ER and didn't get home until almost 4 in the morning.
When we all got up (just a few hours later) I got to take a good look at Owen's wound. The ER doctor decided that it would be fine to just glue it together. The picture below shows just how horrible poor Owen's head still looked. That glue job just wasn't going to do it for me.....all I could think about was the scar Owen would be bound to have for his entire life if I left his head looking like that. I decided to take him to the Urgent Care for a second opinion.
Well after waiting over an hour the doctor at the urgent care look one look at Owen and said he needed stitches. The doctor was appalled that the other doctor thought glue was the best decision...I knew it!!  Owen basically had to be put in a straight-jacket to keep him still enough to stitch his face up, but once he couldn't move he did great. My little boy got 6 stitches right on his eyebrow. Poor little guy, but it looks way better than that crazy glue job!!
Owen actually didn't mind having the stitches on his face and enjoyed putting a different, colorful band aide on it each day. I'm just relived that he won't have a giant scar on his face for the rest of his life!
We survived our first major injury!!

3 comments:

Taryn said...

I hate scary times like that with kids! That is so lucky that his stitches are right on his eyebrow.

I am so excited about your move! When is it happening?

Edith said...

That is funny that they thought glue would be enough. Usually you can request a plastic surgeon on call for face injuries in the ER, I thought. Ethan had stitches when he was 3 above his eyebrow too and the scar is hardly noticeable now that he's grown a bit.
Glad Owen was OK and he is still smiling in the pictures.
~Edith

Amanda said...

I am FREAKING out right now! I am so thankful you had spencer home with you! What a scary event. I hope it heals well!