Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Preston Turns One!!

HAPPY 1st BIRTHDAY PRESTON!!
Isn't it funny that with your first kid the first birthday party is the BIGGEST deal? Now with my 3rd it's kind of like: uh... I guess we should do something. In my mind we were going to throw Preston a big 1st birthday swim party in our backyard at the pool complete with a jumper and games and a full on "BALL" themed party since Preston is obsessed with balls right now, but deep down I just didn't have the energy to put it together, besides we were struggling to find a date that worked with all of our family's vacation schedules. My lack of enthusiasm and frustration with accommodating everyone didn't keep us from celebrating though. Last minute, and I mean very last minute Spencer and I threw together an impromptu party. We ended up calling all our family the morning of Preston's actual birthday, which was on a Monday, and invited them over for dinner and cake that very night. I guess last minute worked out, since everyone managed to make it with only hours notice! An added bonus was my Aunt and Uncle were here visiting from Utah so they got to come to the party too, which was a lot of fun!
I made lasagna, salad, and bread for everyone. There was a little bit of swimming that took place before dinner, but it was far from the extravagant pool party I had pictured in my brain. After dinner we had Preston open his presents. I was shocked and honored that everyone in attendance brought a gift (which in no way was expected) with such short notice. Preston was very into the gifts and enjoyed sitting on my lap, inspecting each package. He liked watching his brother and sister open his gifts for him too.


In this picture below, it's hard to tell, but Owen is holding up the Ninja Turtle Preston received from his mom and dad. Owen is currently in LOVE with all things ninja turtles (apparently the 80's are back my friends) and is always playing with them, but Preston is always trying to steal them from Owen so now Preston has his own. Owen was thrilled for his brother to have his own turtle to say the least. Can you tell how thrilled Preston is about it? Ha ha!!
After presents of course it was time for the 1st birthday cake. Remember how earlier I wrote that Preston is obsessed with balls? Well he also a little crazy about Mike Wazowski from Monster's Inc. Probably because he looks like a ball! My mom is amazing and managed to get this cake for him. It really is amazing to me how things can come together in very little time and with no planning at all, this should be a lesson for me! The cake was darling and perfect for our birthday boy!

Preston was so happy to get a cake. He was a little nervous to dive in at first, but once we gave him a taste and showed him how it was done he wasted no time at all shoving fists full of chocolate cake into his mouth. The video Spencer took of it is priceless! There is nothing like a one year old enjoying his first birthday cake!!
Overall it was a causal and relaxed birthday party, but still a lot of fun. It was amazing to have all our family there to share this special day with our little man. I can't believe that he is already one!!  Love you Preston!!

No comments: