After a failed attempt at finding affordable jeans that fit at our local mall (what a beauty of a place that is!) I found myself turning to a more familiar store for help: Kohl's. I decided to start in the "Misses" section. (I came to the conclusion that after I had Owen I no longer qualified as a "junior" so I probably shouldn't be purchasing clothing from that section.) I walked aimlessly through the misses department and started picking up all kinds of jeans in different styles and brands and headed to the dressing room.
As I began the tiring process of trying them all on I discovered that jean styles have drastically changed since I last shopped for them six years ago. I came to some conclusions about different styles of jeans that some of you may find helpful:
Low Rise: Creates a beautiful muffin top
Ultra Low Rise: Ultra muffin top with the added bonus of plumber's crack
Boot Cut: Tight on the thighs (cutting off circulation) and flares out from the knee. May as well call these jeans mini-bell bottoms
Then comes my personal favorite: the "skinny" jean. When I read the label "skinny" in my own naive mind I thought these jeans were going to make me look skinny. I thought to myself, "finally a jean that can work miracles!!!" I had all kinds of high hopes and dreams that the skinny jean was going to be the jean for me. Boy was I wrong!!!!!
Holly's take on the skinny jean: Does NOT make you look skinny!!!! In fact, it does the exact opposite! These jeans are super tight on your legs and get more and more narrow as they reach your ankles. The worst jean ever made!!! I am officially re-naming the "skinny" jean to the "make you look ridiculous jean that you only wanted to try on because of the extremely misleading name jean."
As I looked in the mirror at myself wearing these so-called "skinny" jeans I wanted to scream! "Who in their right mind would even create such a monstrosity for a woman to wear!!" I ripped the pants off and threw them in the large pile with the other rejected jeans. By this time I was so frustrated with shopping and angry at whoever came up with the idea of skinny jeans I didn't think my day could get any worse; then it did.
As I was standing in the dressing room staring at the heaping pile of rejected denim ready to punch someone, a Christmas song came on (can you believe that?). That just put me over the edge completely!
It's still the beginning of November , why are Christmas songs being played already?? Then I got to thinking, "why is it that the day after Halloween stores break out all the Christmas stuff, hang decorations, play Christmas music, and workers start wearing those stupid red Santa hats and telling me "happy holidays" after I make a purchase? Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas and Christmastime, but not in the beginning of November. I mean whatever happened to Thanksgiving???
I have the best memories of Thanksgiving from my childhood. I probably have better memories of Thanksgiving as a child than I do of Christmas. I look forward to Thanksgiving every year. I love the big Thanksgiving meal, family togetherness, football on TV, riding quads, craft day, after Thanksgiving shopping, all of it. Why does Thanksgiving get lost in all the hoopla and preparation for Christmas???
As I pondered these thoughts on Thanksgiving I found myself feeling sorry for Thanksgiving and decided that I would not forget it and I would celebrate Thanksgiving to it's fullest this year by not falling into the early Christmas trap that the retail world sets for all of us.
After making the decsion to kind of boycott Christmas until after Thanksgiving my spirits kind of lifted (like I was really sticking it to Christmas for being so overbearing). I scooped up the pile of horrible non-flattering jeans and flung them on the "go-back rack" and continued with my search for the perfect pair of jeans.
In Conclusion:

1. Don't buy skinny jeans unless you are Heidi Klum or happen to have a body like hers
2. Don't forget about poor Thanksgiving, it's an important holiday too you know!!
18 comments:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! I love it even more because just TODAY I also tried to venture out and get some new jeans (which I have not done in a LONG time).... it was a terrible & depressing experience and I came home empty handed.
I agree 100% that the skinny jeans need to go! I laughed so hard about how you thought they were going to be the "miracle jeans," oh, how we wish.
PLEASE let me know when you find the perfect jeans so I can go get some myself!
lol
I have never in my life had a great experience with jeans until about 1 year ago and I am not sure if you will have any of the same stores as we do here but last year I found the perfect miracle jeans! I am not sure that you could find them in misses though. I found these in the womens section which I have avoided for years but when my friend Dj came to town we went out shoping at the mall here and we have a Dillards but no Nordstrom but anyway I have always thought of this store as though it were nordstrom. Anyway the jeans are called the NYDJ "not your daughters jeans" I tried them on cuz my friend DJ was here and I thought it would be funny. They were perfect they have a tummy tuck part to them to give you the perfect hour glass figure and for me they are flattering in all the right places. you should try to find a pair and tell me what you think.
Ok, you just made my horrible day so much better with your post! I have been beyond frustrated trying to find a good pair of jeans ever since I had Kaelyn!! In fact just today I was complaining to Paul about how I can't find a pair of jeans that fit me right! And, I HATE seeing Christmas decorations out right now! and Christmas music already- I mean come on!!! Poor Thanksgiving- it always gets looked over!!
Love this post, because it is so true. It really takes some work to find the right jeans....and the skinny jeans, I don't even think they look good on Heidi Klum they have got to go! I have found a couple of pairs of jeans that are tolerable. Believe it or not I have been wearing Lee, which is funny because I always thought they were old lady jeans....what does that mean? Anyways they have a pair that has tummy control on them and then they have something on it so it does not gap in the back. I love them!!! They also make them in short sizes which is wonderful for me and my short legs. I got a pair at Kohls and JC Penneys. Good luck looking!
thank you, I needed a laugh and to know that I'm not alone. I actually went jean shopping this past weekend (I'm going to Utah this next weekend and I either lose 30 pounds in the next few days to fit into an old pair or wear my maternity jeans as a back-up)
I hate paying $$$$ for jeans so I tried Ross, TJMax, Marshalls and then ended up up Old Navy and found success. I must have tried on over 20 pairs of jeans last Saturday which was beyond depressing but I did find a pair that I like, Old Navy's sweetheart jeans. They fit, it's comfortable and it hits my waist great.
I really don't like shopping, but even worse than that is shopping for jeans. I feel your pain. My friend went shopping with his wife for jeans once and decided there must be a better way. So he started his own jeans company - seriously. Check it out. http://www.truejeans.com let me know if this helps!
I was recently on strike against jeans. But...with all of the election stuff going on, I decided to give them a chance. So, I bought a pair and I really like them a lot.
Skinny jeans are crap. Who thought of these? I think you should buy a pair of wranglers.
hear hear Holly Hull...
you like that alliteration, eh?
But seriously, hear hear!!!
I agree on the skinny jeans, they need to go, they never should have come in the first place. What's funny is when a guy is walking down the street wearing a pair!
I tend to stick with The Gap for jeans, the long and lean are my favorite!
Thanksgiving is my favorite too! But it's because everyone forgets about it and it's not so commercialized... I heard Christmas music today while grocery shopping. Argh.
I could care less about the jeans, but I hope Melissa reads this for the Christmas comes too soon part.
She doesn't like that I won't let her listen to Christmas music until after Thanksgiving and this gives me another reason why she shouldn't.
Thanks!
Heehee! Totally been there, done that!! Thanks for the fun!
So Hilarious! I'm about to head out and buy myself jeans for the first time in years as well....Aaron's wife Laura got me turned on to Old Navy's jeans. they sell some with a higher rise and that fit more womenly figures, I LOVE them. give 'em a shot, hope they work!
I am still laughing! I had to stop reading because I was laughing so hard! I agree, jean shopping is not fun!
I agree that whoever came up with skinny jeans was just trying to make women look fatter!!!!! It should be called"Fatter Jeans"! Anyway, I have a possible solution--I buy guys low rise jeans--they work just as well and aren't really low that you have to worry about your garments sticking out! Gap has some great ones but I also like Old Navy--there is a brand called Boyfriends Closet I think! Good luck!
I am DYING right now HollY! I can't even type, I am copying this and sending it to my friends! ROFL
HOLLY BELL! Its Theresa Kay. How the heck are you! Marty Williams gave me your blog info on facebook-( you should join!)You have a baby- almost one- how wonderful! Hes adorable- you guys look so great!Tell mw whats new- what have you been up to?
Pete and i just had our third baby 6 weeks ago- Peres in the army- we are stationed in Alaska- we moved here in sept.Im a stay at home mom too!Copy and paste the link to see pics off my facebook account.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=1&aid=49152&id=705801798#/album.php?page=2&aid=43318&id=705801798
LOVE THE SKINNY JEAN POST- FUNNY.
Talk more soon. Theresa
Post a Comment