Monday, January 12, 2009

Growing Up Too Fast

In the last couple of days Owen has started to walk!! Crawling is still his main means of transportation, but he can walk short distances all by himself. I realized today that I really haven't taken any pictures of him since he turned one so I got a little picture crazy!!

Walking always requires fingers in the mouth and bare feet.
Some other things Owen has gotten good at in the last week or two are:
Sliding down the stairs
And opening his toy box and getting ALL his toys out to play!We love having such a happy baby in our family!

In other Owen news:
He just had his one year old shots
He weighs 18 lbs. 6 oz. and is in the 5th percentile (he's only gained 1.5 lbs. since he was 6 mons.)
He is 29.25 inches tall in the 35th percentile
The eczema has returned and so has the scratching!!
Owen has to have his weight re-evaluated in 30 days....any ideas of how I can get him to gain a little weight?

8 comments:

The McGary Family said...

milkshakes...they're like 600 calories. Pasta also has a lot of calories (like mac-n-cheese, spaghetti, ravioli) Good Luck!

Fife Family said...

Wow, he is just a little guy. Is his dr. concerned that he's too small? He looks healthy to me, but I know sometimes food allergies can contribute to that.

michelle said...

I have a lightweight too. Annabelle was only 19.5 pounds at one year (5-10%) but her her height was tall (75-95%). Her pediatrician thinks she's perfectly healthy - she's just skinny.

The only thing I can think of (again, not that it works for me since I have a skinny kid too) is to use a lot of whole milk. Calories, fat and nutritious. Annabelle eats instant oatmeal for breakfast with a whole banana and I use whole milk instead of water. Yo-baby yogurts also have whole milk, get some string cheese, etc.

I just try and add good calories whenever I can. Good luck!

Sarah Hull said...

Oh my, he is one adorable doll! I love the bare feet/hands in the mouth walking!!

Gosh, I am so sorry about the return of the itching. What a bummer! Remember my friend Jackie's boy had it really bad and they ended up being part of a study and she was really educated in the "eczema" department. Let me know if you need her number. She was always really helpful to me when I had any sort of baby questions (b/c her husband is also a baby doctor).

So I was just reading up today about baby food (i am starting Carter on more solids. I have been taking it really slow)and some say "yes" where others say "no" to rice cereal in the milk in the sippy cup... before bed. I guess it fills them up pretty good and then they sleep on it and it helps to keep them full and fat!

WheelersSix said...

Cy says "Welcome to the fifth percentile buddy!" I'm so used to having the small baby stress, Joey and Cy were both small. Joey just recently caught up and he's five. He's not the tallest kid in class, but he's not a shorty either. You can try stuffing him if you want, but I wouldn't stress it too much. Cy even did the same thing where he grew and then stopped for a few months, and now he's growing again. My doctor always sweats it, but I'm getting used to it. :) ood luck at the next appt and tell Owen we think he's a stud!

Dustin and Kellie said...

Maren just turned two and is just under 20 pounds! The doctor told me to put plenty of butter on her toast, make sure she drinks whole milk (which if he's one Owen can now have) and keep in mind that while we as women probably check things to make sure it's not high in calories or fat, that they are still great and actually good for kids. Obviously, that doesn't mean load him up with tons of ice cream, cuz we love it and thats where we'd go if we didn't have to be good. Go for fruit and veggies and other nutritious foods, just don't worry that he's eating things that may not make it into our "low-cal" diets. Thats what our pediatritain said. Sorry, that probably didn't make much sense. Cute cute pictures by the way.

The Benches said...

He is seriously so cute! They do grow up to fast! It is bittersweet I guess...

I can't believe that Cody is engaged! Tell hiim I said congratulations. Allison is so cute, and I am so happy for your family! I bet big Bruce has a big smile on his face :)

Love ya!

Jill Duncan said...

give him lots of ice cream!! :) and congrats on walking Owen!