Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Rules for texting

I had no idea that my last post would be so controversial. I was in such an unusual mood the other day when I wrote it, but I am feeling like my old self again today. It was pretty entertaining to read all your comments and how passionate some of you are about blogging, texting, facebook, etc. So thank you for making my day, I had some good laughs at how serious a few of you were.
I mentioned before that I have some issues with texting, so on not such a serious note (just so we are clear!) I would like to present to you some of my do's and dont's for texting:
DO:
  • Send out a mass text to a large group of people with important information. IE: a birth of a baby, details about plans for the night, when and where a meeting is going to be held.
  • Text me when you think my son is asleep so the phone won't wake him up
  • Send me information that I might want to store or write down like an address or telephone number or the price of something.
  • Text me if you have something that you want to say that is so short a phone call isn't worth it like "I'm on my way!" or "almost there." Something where you really don't expect a response back.

Don't

  • Send me a text just to say "Hi" or "what's up?" Seriously?? How am I supposed to respond to that?
  • Send me a text message because you are too afraid to call and give me bad news. That is probably my biggest pet peeve....what a cop-out!!
  • Text someone else while I am trying to have a conversation with you face to face, that's just rude!!
  • Text while driving, it's the law!
  • Text during church....I can see you doing it!
  • Text me because you are bored, I really don't have time to amuse you.
  • Try and have a full on conversation with me through texting, a lot more will get accomplished with a phone call if it's urgent.
  • Have relationships solely based on text-messaging (This one is primarily targeted at teenagers and other immature people....seriously don't break up with your boyfriend with a text message!)

So my question to you now, is what kind of "rules" do you use with text-messaging? I can't wait to hear them!! (Remember this is all in fun....no mean comments allowed!!)

4 comments:

Marti and Leif Stockdale said...

Ha Ha Ha! I love it! I hope you didnt take my respone in the wrong context, it just another perspective most hearing people dont consider. I have no rules except don't send me "jokes" that you wouldnt want your mother to see or hear!"

Laura said...

Uh, don't text or talk in the bathroom! Even if you are in your own stall.

Jill Duncan said...

You are so funny! I'm actually big in texting, but my only 'rule' is I HATE getting texts that are the stupid chain letters. They drive me crazy. You know- the ones that say 'send this to 10 people including me' Ugh, it just irritates me!

oh- and DON'T text in church! Come on have some respect!

Amanda said...

I hate it when people try and have a "serious" conversation via text. You can't get your ton across and you can't get whole point across. That annoys me...

But, I'm new to the texting world, so I still don't know ALL the rules. I LOVE your list of rules!