I recently turned 29 and I can't believe this will be the last year of my 20's. I often think about what the future will hold and how my life is going to be different as I continue to get older. For me, picturing my life 5, 10, even 15 years from now doesn't seem difficult. I picture myself and Spencer living in a home with a pool and raising our children. I imagine a life jammed full of school activities, soccer practices, dance recitals, swim meets, birthdays, vacations, and lots of parties...a life that mostly revolves around our children, but a very happy life nonetheless. I imagine myself returning to work in the next 10 years and possibly even going back to school to get a Master's Degree. I look forward to the many years I will spend with my children while they are still living at home.
What is difficult for me to picture is my life after all our children are grown and have started families of their own, like when I am 60. When I think about grandmothers in general, I picture sweet old ladies who enjoy baking cookies for their grand kids and spending time with them. Won't I just naturally turn into this sweet old woman that I can picture so vividly in my head?
Recently I had the opportunity to spend several days with my grandmother, whom I don't get to see very often. I love her dearly and it was a treat to have her stay with us, but being with her made me realize that my perspective on old age was merely a delusion. I have to admit that I am a little frightened now of what I might turn in to once I hit about 60. Don't get me wrong, my grandma loves her grand kids and does bake cookies, but there is a whole other side of her that I wasn't aware of until after she stayed at my house for a few days.As I was describing some of the activities I am involved in she asked me if I was part of a "tea-party" group. I instantly had images of fancy parties with little sandwiches, lemonade, fruit, and pastries. "What a fun idea," I thought to myself. As I was imagining how I could put together a monthly tea-party group my grandma went on to describe what her idea of a tea party was. I don't want to bore you with all the details (because believe me...I was bored!!) but the basis of a "tea-party" is a group of people who get together to discuss politics and raise money for the politicians they choose to back. No tea or little sandwiches are involved....BORING!!!
So maybe I should care a little bit more about the people running the government, but I don't think I will ever let it run the forefront of my life! I had no idea how many shows on television are dedicated to discussing politics, until grandma came to stay. I had never watched these men on television before and to be honest didn't know their names. My grandma stopped everything she was doing when these shows were on T.V. and watched intensely while they were on. (Bonus points if you can name both of the men in the following two pictures)
O.K. so maybe I am ignorant. Maybe I should pay more attention to politics. Maybe I should care about who the governor of California is. Maybe I should start a monthly group where we discuss the important issues of the world....Maybe. Like I said before, it's hard to picture what life will be like in my 60's and 70's, now I wonder if there is a certain age when I will start caring more about political issues, and if I will stop everything at 3:00 in the afternoon to watch an over-opinionated republican (or democrat) on TV. Oh how I wish I could go back to thinking that being old just meant being sweet, baking cookies, taking naps, and being a little bit forgetful.
7 comments:
ok, so my two guesses are Glenn Beck and Rush Limbog (don't count spelling), they're the only two "political" people that I can think would be on tv.
For the record, my two grandmas spoiled they're grandkids, sent me cards, looked great wearing paisly aprons and BAKED lots of cookies and bread.
I plan on being the best Grandma when the time comes. So be the BEST Grandma you can be...when the time comes too. And I'll come to your tea-parties, can't wait to eat little sandwiches!
Hahaha!!!! I'm cracking up!!! I'm pretty sure you're talking about grandma F... If that's the case you should remember she is not like most grandmothers. She carries on full conversations with herself, is in a line dancing class, and has a 92-year-old boyfriend. She had a slip n slide at her 80th birthday and instead of knitting and snacking on milk and cookies at her house you'll usually get some sort of chocolate with a pepsi while you're playing poker... She may not be the most conventional grandma but she is the best!!! It's hard for me to think about being in my 70's but if I make it that far I hope I'm half as cool as she is! Next time she starts rambling about politics just bring up reality TV, she's pretty up to date on that stuff too :)
Oh Holly, you're so cute! You're gonna be the funnest, coolest mom and an even funner grandma! I just hope we get invited to go swimming in your pool and get to enjoy all the fun parties you are going to have! :)
But seriously, I hope that Kaelyn and Owen will stay friends even though they are the opposite sex.
Glenn Beck.. but def. not Rush, unless that picture is old... he's a big fatty.
Anywho... let's start your kind of tea party, that sounds like a lot more fun. Besides, I get too worked up talking about politics... I must admit, I am an a.m. radio listener, and I love the over opinionated talk show hosts.
Oh, and if you ever want to go to the cutest little tea party, go to the one at Huntington Library. We should do a girls day there, seriously!
Hey Holly,
I guess I don't blame you for not wanting to be involved in politics since it can so taxing and people can get a little bit to into it! Although, those 2 men are Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly both on Fox News. We happen in our home to see their shows often since they often make good points although I don't agree with everything that they say. Glenn Beck is actually LDS and wrote a wonderful story called "The Christmas Sweater" that you should check out as it is a great story!Anyway, hope that you are feeling well and Owen is such a cutie!!!
Glenn Beck and Bill Oreilly, I was raised in a very politically conscious family. I believe in a well balanced life of know who these people are and what they believe but also spending time with your family and not the tv. :)
Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly! We watch Beck Religiously!
Never been to a Tea-Party, but I know your Tea Parties would be WAY BETTER!!! I'd go to a million Tea Parties thrown by you before going to a Political Tea-Party...
We miss you guys and can't wait to see pictures of Baby Girl Hull!!! Have you picked a name yet!?! Keep us updated on her status!!!
Post a Comment