Monday, December 6, 2010

Advent: Days 2-5

Day 2: "A hunt through the house will lead you to the true meaning of Christmas."
Owen had a blast following the clues I hid around the house and at the end the treasure was new pajamas and our children's nativity set.
After Spencer and I got the kids in their new pajamas we talked to Owen (and Audrey too) about Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus using our plastic nativity. Owen was excited about the "toy" but I think he actually did learn something because he now calls the figures by their right names, but he insists that the stable is NOT a stable, it's a hospital because Jesus was born there and all babies are born in hospitals....so FUNNY!!! I love the way children think.
Day 3: Watch "ELF" and eat peppermint ice cream. YUMMY, my favorite!!
Day 4: Ride the Christmas Train at the mall with Daddy. Audrey and I watched and took pictures.
Day 5: (My favorite day so far) Attend our stake's Creche Festival.
We all enjoyed admiring all of the different nativities (there were 100's of them!!) and it was fun to see Owen pick out Mary and Joseph and Jesus in all of them.
At the festival there was a children's room where kids could make their own creche out of stickers, which Owen loved, and they could dress up and be part of a live nativity. Owen chose to be a wiseman and Jackson was a camel...love it!!
Both boys enjoyed dressing up, Owen cried when it was time to take the costume off!! Maybe this kid needs some dress-up clothes to play with at home!

2 comments:

Dustin and Kellie said...

What a fun first week of December! I now wish it was the first all over again! We've done a few things but I love that you have done something special every night! I still remember hearing Ethan call Mary and Joseph by their names the first time and that feeling of your heart nearly bursting! The hospital thing is so cute! What a smartie! I love it all. I will have to start taking more pictures! Also I totally love the Christmas Elf story. Dustin told me about it first (only because he read your blog first) and was telling me all about your "Christmas Gnome." I thought, well thats a little different?! Later I read it and saw the Elf for myself and had to laugh histerically. He says "ah, gnome? Elf? Whats the difference?" I said, "Well, the gnomes drink too much and the trolls aren't potty trained." It was a pretty funny night! :) I want to by that book like right now!

dillon and kim said...

HOLLY!!! I love your advent calendar!!! What a fun idea! and The Elf on the Shelf is so awesome, I'm definatly stealing that next year. Wow, something fun every night??? All I want for christmas is to come to your house, we're so boring!