Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Buzz Light Year to the Rescue!!

Warning: Post contains details about potty-training, you might get grossed out!!


We started potty-training Owen right after he turned 3 back in December. He got the concept fairly quickly and within a couple of weeks he was able to pee in the potty without any problems, he hardly ever wet his pants. But when it came to going #2 in the potty....it was a different story.


He would hold "it" for days so when he did go it would hurt and he would cry and cry. He screamed every time he would sit on the potty to go #2. Most of the time his screaming was accompanied by kicking, hitting, and spitting. Let's just say Spencer and I became extremely worn out by Owen's 45 minute bathroom charades.


Owen also gave us a run for a money when he would have to go #2 in public. I don't think I have ever been more embarrassed than the time I was in Target and I could tell my son had to go to the bathroom so I took him into the public restroom. Once inside the stall he started screaming at the top of his lungs, "No Mommy, no Mommy it's hurting me!!" (Great now I am a child abuser!!) We were in that bathroom a good 30 minutes (all 30 minutes he was screaming at the top of his lungs) before he finally gave in and went to the bathroom. Needless to say we stayed inside the bathroom stall until everyone left the bathroom. I grabbed the kids and ran like heck out of there in hopes that there was a small chance that the people who heard the screaming wouldn't figure out who was making all that noise.


Spencer had a similar experience when we were at the Doctor's office. Spencer took Owen to go #2 while I stayed with Audrey. I could hear the screaming from clear down the hall. I was glad that that time I got to pretend that it wasn't my kid screaming about his bum hurting.


Owen's bathroom escapades made us late for several occasions, caused us a lot of public humiliation, and made us miss lots of events completely. This continued on for months. Right now some of you might be thinking, "Why didn't you try different rewards or punishments to help motivate Owen." Well let me tell you, we tried EVERYTHING!!! That time we were in Target I told Owen that I would buy him anything in the store if he would just stop screaming and go to the bathroom, it didn't work. We bought him different toys and would show it to him and tell him he could have it once he went #2 in the potty, he didn't care about the toys. We tried taking toys and television away, he didn't care.


I made a sticker chart for him and told him that once he filled up the entire chart we would buy him Buzz Light Year Wings, which is something we knew he really wanted. Even with the promise of Wings, the sticker chart wasn't very effective. He continued to scream, cry, kick, hit, and spit whenever we made him sit on the toilet to go #2. I would say that he went poo on the potty maybe 2 out of 10 times. The other 8 times were in his pants. The most frustrating was when I knew he had to go, he would scream on the toilet for 45 minutes and convince me that he didn't have to go, and then poop his pants 15 minutes later. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I had to take him home from the store, the park, playgroup, and friend's houses because he pooped his pants. It was awful and I was sick of it.


It took Owen about 3.5 months to fill up this chart, that's a long time considering he could of filled it up in about 1 month if he made it to the toilet every time he had to go. He was very proud of himself for completing the chart and eager for me to fulfill my end of the bargain by buying him the wings. I was hesitant to even buy the wings since he was still pooping his pants and screaming on the toilet, I felt like the sticker chart had been a huge failure. But a deal was a deal.

I ended up having to order the wings on-line since I discovered that none of the local stores carried them. Owen was so excited when the wings finally arrived!! We opened up the box and I put them together. Before I let him wear them I explained to Owen that he is a big boy now and only big boys get to wear Buzz Light Year Wings. I told him that he got the wings by going poop on the potty like a big boy. No joke after he got his wings he started going #2 on the toilet without hardly any more problems. No more screaming, no more crying, no more kicking and hitting, he just started going like a big boy. Spencer and I are still shocked at what a difference Buzz Light Year Wings made!!!
Going #2 still isn't perfect, but it's a WHOLE LOT BETTER than before. Buzz Light Year really did save the day!!

11 comments:

Rich Fife said...

So awesome that the Buzz Lightyear wings have made such a difference! He looks pretty pleased with himself. :) We had quite the experience potty training Audra too. It finally got better when we gave her a huge reward for going #2 on the toilet. I started taking her to the carousel at the mall every time she got 3 stars on a chart for going #2. That's what she wanted and it worked! Then we scaled back to ice cream cones and now she doesn't need anything. I'm all about the extreme rewards when it comes to this kind of thing. You just have to figure out what motivates them!

Rich Fife said...

Um, this is Carly not Rich. He must've been signed into this computer. Oops!

Jill Duncan said...

HOORAY!!!!!! I'm so proud of Owen, but probably more excited for you :) You are an awesome mom, Seriously!!!! I don't think I could have put up with all you went through. I hope that when the time comes Audrey will be easier potty training for you.

Dustin and Kellie said...

YAY! That is so great! Finally! I absolutely HATED potty training. What a pain in the butt (literally in Owen'd case!) I'm so happy for you guys that it's getting better!

Taryn said...

That is so awesome! And really funny too. It's amazing how simple things can totally change kids!

Sarah said...

Hooray for Buzz light year wings!
This post just gave me a little anxiety attack as I have it on the calendar this week to potty train Carter. I have been putting it off because I am imagining it to be a nightmare.
Maybe I'll have to show him Owen's Buzz wings and tell him how he earned them in hopes that will help!
So glad to hear things are getting easier!

Unknown said...

Oh the joys of potty training! maybe I should try this method with Kashmin!!

Lindsay said...

Yea Owen! We are so proud of the big boy you are growing up to be. We miss you. And yea Holly and Spencer you two are amazing parents.

Dustin and Kellie said...

Ok, so when mid-June? I am planning the kids Un-Birthday and have been trying to decide on mid-June or August-ish. I would love to have you guys there (I know that you are probably coming for a reason, that doesn't revolve around me.. which is a total shock! But I am aware) Give me details of your trip! Cause if you were coming for weeks and weeks I think I could come up with some super fun things that would take you away from whatever it is you already had planned!

Sami said...

I loved this post and have been meaning to comment for awhile. Potty training cameron was seriously the hardest thing. We still have #2 issues, so I totally related. He just holds it for 4-5 days all the time and so we always talk about if he goes he can have ice cream. Poor Tyson always has to hear about when he goes, because he can't wait to tell daddy. We also have some of these buzz wings from his Halloween costume. Cameron loved them. We can't wait for you guys to visit and maybe we need to get some matching shirts too! And i think you should really talk Cody and Allison into coming. It would be so fun to see them.

Amanda said...

I can't even control my laughing right now!!! Parenting seriously makes us feel crazy sometimes...especially when "Crap hits the fan".

I lost it when you explained the Target incident. Awesome. Did Spencer teach him to spit. I like that!

FYI-it took Hannah a few days to master the poop in the toilet deal. But...I hear that pooping is rather scary for some kids. So, this is probably normal. I hope your little princess is easier on this topic than Owen!

I'm still laughing!