Saturday, September 28, 2013

Megan's Wings: A Family Tradition

Today was the big Megan's Wings 5k race and fundraiser that our family has been participating in for several years now. This was the second year that both Audrey and Owen ran in the kids 1k race. This was the first year that only my mom and I ran the 5k. Spencer and other family members and friends opted not to run this time. 
 
The entire week leading up to the race I could tell that Owen was a little bit nervous about it. He kept telling me that he wanted me to run with him the entire race and that I should probably hold his hand. He talked about last year being really hard and he wasn't sure if he could do it again. I just encouraged him and reassured him that he could do it and I promised to stay right there with him.
Once we got to the start line this morning I think both kids were more excited than nervous. It was fun to see them anticipate the race and really feed off the crowd...which is something I do before every race I participate in.
Right before the race started Owen grabbed one hand and Audrey grabbed the other. Owen reminded me that I promised that I would stay right be him. I reassured him and told him that the 3 of us would cross the finish line together. A minute later the announcer started the race and off we went!!
 
I ran about 50 yards holding each of my children's hands when Owen let go, looked up at me and said, "I got this mom! I can do it all by myself, you can stay with Audrey." I can't tell you how proud of him I was at that moment. I watched him take off and run the entire race all by himself!! 
There goes Owen!!! Finishing the race strong! He did so much better than last year. I am so proud of this kid!!
Here comes Audrey and I. Almost to the finish line!!! Audrey did an amazing job running and went as fast as her little legs would let her!
It was so fun to see how proud both kids were of themselves. They LOVED getting a medal at the end. I'm such a proud mommy!! I love that my kids are enjoying something that I really enjoy, and that we can do it together as a family.
After the kids 1k, my mom and I ran the 5k. It was a great day to be running, I loved it. I think I ended up finishing 2nd in my age group, so that was a plus!
Little Preston hanging out in the stroller while we ran. I think he'll be ready for the 1k next year. Can't wait for that!!

No comments: