Friday, October 25, 2013

Friday Fun

Before we moved I was part of an awesome playgroup that met once a week for a couple of hours so our preschool aged kids could play and interact and the moms could have a little fun too. I loved playgroup days and I loved all the fun things that we did together. My friend, Jennifer, was an awesome playgroup coordinator and always did a great job planning various park days, fieldtrips, and holiday parties.
When we got in our new ward nothing of the sort existed, so I decided to take it upon myself to start my own playgroup. I have been planning activities for a little over 6 months now. It got off to a slow start, but we've got a nice little group now and usually have at least 3 other moms consistently come on a weekly basis. I try to get creative and plan different activities that will appeal to different people. I've been calling my little playgroup "Friday Fun Day." We meet every Friday right after kindergarten, since Owen isn't ready to give up playgroup activities quite yet.
The month of October has been my most successful month for getting people to activities so far so I thought I would share what we have been up to on Friday afternoons this month.
 
The first week in October we decorated Halloween sugar cookies and frosted pumpkin cupcakes. More people tend to show up when yummy treats are provided!! The kids had a blast decorating their own treats and having it at the park meant no dirty house to clean up afterwards! A win all around!
Preston especially enjoyed having the chance to customize his own treat!
No rules applied to this cookie decorating party! Check out Audrey's mountain of frosting and sprinkles on her cookie!!
Since the weather has been so nice, the following Friday I decided that a hike would be fun. Lucky for us there is an awesome preserve super close to our house with hiking trails. Originally I thought we would hike to the waterfall, but once we got going I realized pretty quick that with our crew there was no way we were going to make it that far!! We let the kids run around on the trails, ate a picnic lunch, read all the signs describing the local wildlife and plants, then called it a day.
Then this last Friday we had a Halloween lunch and pumpkin painting party at the park. The kids LOVED the Halloween potluck food, but I think the pumpkin painting took the cake! It was a really fun afternoon. It got the kids excited for Halloween!

Each kid brought their own mini pumpkin, then I brought several colors of paint and paint brushes. We let the kids go to town on their pumpkins. It was a great activity that we will definitely have to do again!!
It was a fun month for Friday Fun Day! Hopefully the momentum will continue and more people will keep coming in the weeks and months to come. It's always fun to make new friends!

No comments: