Friday, April 18, 2014

Scary, Long Day


A few mornings a week I go to a workout class where I can bring my kids. All the kids run around and play together while the moms get to work out. It really is a win win situation. Well this morning Audrey was playing with the other kids and they were building a train out of some chairs. I'm not sure exactly what happened but Audrey got her hand stuck under a leg of a table and then another kid jumped on the table causing the leg to go through the palm of her hand!
At first I wasn't overly alarmed. I took her in the bathroom to wash off the blood, but then I got a better look at it. I realized right away that she was going to need stitches. It was pretty disgusting and I could see some of the tendons inside her hand. A friend that was working out with me offered to take Preston and I arranged to have someone pick Owen up from school so I took Audrey to the emergency room.
I knew that Audrey was going to need stitches, but I didn't realize that there was a possibility that she could have severely injured her hand preventing her from fully using it in the future. Audrey had x-rays done and several tests were done right away to see just how bad her hand was hurt. One of the scariest moments was when the ER doctor started to do the stitches then stopped and decided that it would be better to have a hand specialist come and do the stitches because he was afraid of all the loose tendons that he could see. 
The specialist came in and spent a loooooong time examining her hand and then finally put in 7 stitches. Audrey did so well!!! She watched the whole thing and didn't even flinch. Audrey was fascinated with the whole process. She was amazing. 
After she got the stitches the doctor wrapped her hand up really well in some bandages and sent us on our way. Audrey got extremely lucky that her hand wasn't as badly hurt as it really could have been. Lots of prayers of gratitude were said in our house tonight.

No comments: