On Friday night (yes opening night) my geeky friends and I went to see Twilight. We all purchased our tickets on-line ahead of time and Jill and I (being the biggest geeks of the bunch) arrived at the theater an hour before the movie started to wait in line. We thought we were pretty slick arriving an hour early, but I guess A LOT more people had that same idea and got there WAY earlier than we did. We ended up near the back of the line, but still managed to get decent seats where our entire group could sit together.It was nice to have a night out with the girls, but I have to admit that I didn't LOVE the movie. I'm a big fan of the book series, but the movie fell short in my opinion. The biggest disappointment for me, other than the movie having a low budget "Napoleon Dynamite" feel, was Edward. He had a few good moments, (sexy moments as Jill put it) but other than that he wasn't that impressive.
About half way through the movie Tamarah leaned over and said, "I just lowered my expectations a little bit and now I'm really enjoying it." I appreciated that comment and I did take her advice, but I don't think you'll find me in line buying another ticket any time soon.
The best part of the night was when the movie was over and the group of us girls were sitting in the theater chatting and having a good time when one of the workers came in and asked us to leave!! That was pretty funny. I've never been "kicked out" of a place before.
I know a lot of you die-hard fans are going to rip me apart in your comments, but this is my honest opinion. And I think if you really think about it you will agree with me too, movies are never as good as the books.
Just for the record, Napoleon Dynamite is one of my favorite movies....It's "low budgetness" made it great, but it didn't work for Twlight.
13 comments:
I totally agree with you and I did the same thing... I lowered my expectations and then loved it. I agree 100% that the books are always better. Except in the "secret life of bees." I loved the book and loved the movie just as much. Infact, most everything in the movie was what I had pictured it in my head when I read it. o.k., Sorry, back to twilight, Edward and Bella and their breathy talking about did me in and the white make-up was a bit much...but it was a fun movie to watch and I will forsure see the others.
I am excited to see you Thursday and talk more about it.
I totally agree that it was not as good as the book. I am a TOTAL loser and went and saw it again (3rd time) with Dustin and some friends. It gets better and better for me. It know what you mean about the low budget feel. But I was lowering my expectations a long time ago. There are really one 3 parts that I didn't like. And they are all right by each other. Well talk about it when we get down there, in case someone hasn't seen it and wants to. But I know that I am a nerd. You can tease me about liking it later. I was a big backstreet boys and 'nsync fan in high school, so I am so used to it.
K. I don't know what the one 3 thing I put was supposed to mean.
I agree with the disappointment of Edward--where is that voice that is musical? He just does not match up to what the book protrays, but when has a movie been just as good as the book?
Edward was a BIG disappointment! But I am glad we went and saw it- it was a fun "geeks night out"!
I admit I am one of the few who DID NOT read the book. I have been advised by many that I need to read the book before I see the movie so I plan on reading the book before Christmas, then I'll watch the movie.
That's great that you went with a bunch of your friends and had a fun time. Love that you got kicked out! And for the record, doing something fun with your friends is not geeky, it's FABULOUS!
I am with you sister. It was cheesy and low budget, but I didn't expect much. The books were way better, but I did think it was cool to see some of it played out on the screen. I am going again, David promised he'd go with me. Oh, and when are we going to hang out again?
I was just excited to get out of the house and act like a 14 year old girl :) There were some things I wish they would have shown more....but overall I liked it. I am not a huge critic of movies...I already have enough things running through my mind. I do hope that since this movie did so well at the box office that they will put a little more $$$ into New Moon.
Holly, I knew you'd remember that black friday in brigham at shopko! Emily and I always talk about the 'shopko lady' and now I'm her! how funny, i wonder if your mom remembers that thanksgiving. tell her hi!
YES!! I LOVE the books... so good (and yes I am right up there with you on the nerd factor ...) I went to the movie hearing that it wasnt very good... So maybe that is why I really liked it! Maybe I will have a Twilight party at my house when the movie is out on DVD and we will have one big nerdy time!
I totally agree with you ... these are my same exact thoughts. I think I would have loved the movie if I hadn't experience the wonderful book and the entire movie flawlessly made in my mind first.
Okay...I read your shopping for jeans stories below and I'm dying!!! You crack me up...I love it all. Can we please go shopping together?!
I'm not going to read your post or any comments...I haven't seen it yet!!!! I'm DYING! I need to go see it!!! SOON!!!!!
I am bummbed that you didn't like it and from the looks of it so many others didn't either. I went to the movie with the expectation that it would not be as good as it was in my mind but talking to a few about it their opinion of Edward and mine differed. I just LOVED how it came to life and now isn't just in my mind and fading memory. It was AWESOME!!
Post a Comment