Friday, December 4, 2009

Christmas Spirit

For the month of December Spencer and I decided that we would do at least one "Christmasy" thing every night until Christmas to help us get into the holiday spirit. So ever since Tuesday that is exactly what we have been doing. Last night we got all cozy on the couch and watched ELF and had hot chocolate. The night before that we spent a little bit of time wrapping gifts. But so far the first night, has been the most memorable.

Last year I purchased a kid-friendly nativity set which I envisioned being such a special thing for our children to play with each Christmas. Tuesday night I was so excited to get out the nativity set and let Owen play with it while Spencer read the Christmas story from the Bible. After Spencer finished reading we sat with Owen and went over every piece of the nativity with him, saying things like; "This is Mary, the mother of baby Jesus" and "this is a Shepard, he saw an angel and knew that Jesus had been born."

Now I do realize that my child is only 2 and he probably doesn't understand much, but I did think he would enjoy playing with all the pieces. I couldn't have been any more wrong!! Every time I put Mary, Joseph, and Jesus in the stable Owen threw them on the ground. He was persistent on playing with only the empty stable. As you can see from the pictures he was much happier without any of the people. What a turkey....or maybe the shirt he is wearing suits him perfectly for the moment!!!


There are a few people who are doing the same thing we are with having an activity each night and I have been following their blogs, so thanks for the ideas!!! If anyone else has a fun Christmas activity idea please let me know!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is such a great idea! I want to do it now :) One thing I have been doing with the kids is one small act of service each day until christmas (very small.. just like helping mom pick up toys, or giving hugs etc!)
PS... I really need one of those kid friendly nativity sets. How special is that :)

Edith said...

We always drive around and see a few Christmas lights on houses. There are a couple neighborhoods who really go all out that are not a very far drive from here.
And we just watched Elf too, I love it!