Monday, December 21, 2009

Spencer's guide to hanging lights

This was the first year that we have lived in a house where we can hang Christmas lights. Both Spencer and I were pretty excited about it. After purchasing the lights, Spencer went right to work hanging them.....sort of.

Step 1: Use a bar stool and stand on your very tip-toes and because we don't own a ladder. Pray that the chair doesn't tip over!!
Step 2: Decide that the chair isn't cutting it and dangle yourself off the roof to hang the lights. (Yeah that seems A LOT safer!!!)

Step 3: Call a friend who owns a ladder and make him hang the lights.
Step 4: Hold the ladder really tight while your friend does all the work.
Step 5: Wait about a week then decide to wrap some lights around the front pillars. Oh yeah, and make sure it's at least 11:00 at night to do so.
Step 6: Step back and look at what you accomplished!! (Well what you and your very helpful friend accomplished) Oh- and make sure it's slightly raining, it's mid-night and you wear your pajamas while standing outside with your very proud husband looking at the finished product.
Only minor injuries were suffered during the 10 day period it took to get all the lights hung and working. Hopefully next year we can get it all done in 7 days or less....I love having a goal!

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Yeah, who knew? Our first year too. We bought lights, my hubbie was gone for seriously at LEAST 3 hours putting up lights (or so I thought) only to find it didnt work out to well, and we have NO LIGHTS at all.

So now I have to explain to my 3 yr. old EVERYDAY why we are the only ones on the block who dont have lights up!

Tell the "friend" to come to our house next year too. lol

Thanks for the card & thinking of us! Merry Christmas!

The McGary Family said...

yeah, we have a "friend" too, its Adam's 17 year old brother who LOVES to climb the ladder and hang off the roof to hang christmas lights. It just takes him so long to finish it since he's SO BUSY with his life and everything.
Your house looks great. Spencer and his friend did a great job.

Unknown said...

We can't wait to see them tonight!

Dustin and Kellie said...

So funny! We love you guys! I'm glad only minor injuries occured!

Jaime Rubio said...

Your lights look good--you planning on keeping them up awhile? I wouldn't blame you guys if you waited until the second week of January to take them down! How are you feeling? I hope you are well!