Thursday, April 7, 2011

Doheny Camp Out

I don't usually post about all the fun things I get to do being the Young Women's President, but I thought that I better document our most recent activity. Last Thursday and Friday we took our Young Women camping at Doheny State Beach. I think there is a lot to be said about 5 adult women (and 1 man) taking 13 teenage girls camping!! As women we set up and took down 6 tents, 2 easy-ups, and made 4 camp-sites feel like home for 2 days. We planned and prepared all our meals ourselves and did it all as women!! I was very proud of what we accomplished, especially since none of the leaders are really "campers." I am so blessed to have an awesome camp director who planned this entire camp-out. It was because of her the camp-out was so successful!


The pictures aren't that great, but it's something. Let it be known that all 13 girls were fabulous and I didn't hear any complaining at all!! They were all so much fun and I enjoyed spending a couple of days with them.

The camp-site was amazing!! It was wonderful having the beach only 60 yards away!! I am already planning on going back with me family, I know Owen would have a blast!!
We taught the girls about fire safety, how to build different types of fires, and how to start fires without matches. Bet you didn't know that you can start a fire with just a battery and steel wool?? Our girls really got into it. We also learned how to cook and prepare food in the outdoors. All the girls made their own dinner that first night. I was so proud of each and every one of them!
We ended our camp-out with a hike over-looking the ocean. It was the prefect ending to a fun trip!! Other than a snake almost biting my leg (I'm being super serious), the hike was wonderful!!
Can you believe that I actually went camping with 13 girls and loved every second of it??

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Ok what the heck I did not know you were YW Pres. as well, you NEED to call me so we can swap ideas, etc. I am trying to think of fun things, and this looks SUPER fun, you are so creative, me NOT so much! So need some assistance ASAP. Do you have my number? Ps I missed the headband party and REALLY want some things, I will do a party out here if April doesn't, heard she is wanting to. Or I just want to order some stuff.