Saturday, October 13, 2012

Lake Perris Tri

Today Spencer and I competed in the Lake Perris Triathlon. This was my very first "real triathlon" and Spencer's third. I say "real" because I've done a triathlon before, but there was a break between the swim and the other two events whereas this one all three events were back to back. I was a little bit nervous about everything, especially the bike ride since I didn't get to train much. I was only able to ride my bike twice before the race and I hadn't been in the pool since August, but I managed to do fairly well despite my lack of preparation. The run was definitely my strongest point and I think that helped improve my overall time. Spencer did awesome and was especially strong on the bike ride. We both had a great time and it was fun to compete in a race together.
 I do have to say that we both really weren't worried about the lake water being too cold since it had been in the high 90's the couple of weeks leading up to the race. But wouldn't you know it the morning of the race it was 50 degrees outside and both Spencer and I were nervous about swimming without wetsuits, but it actually worked out great. Despite being amongst the very few swimming without a wetsuit the water was surprisingly warm and the swim went well for the both of us.
 
Spencer running up the sand to the transition area after the swim
 Spencer rocking the bike ride!!
 Here I am running to the finish line! I was surprised at how well I still felt once I started running. I thought I was going to be dead tired at this point.
 The day was extra fun because Jeff and Janae competed with us in the race. It was actually Janae's idea to sign up for this race. She was the one who got me on board way back when I was still pregnant with Preston. And speaking of Preston, he came with us to the race and Spencer's mom was kind enough to get up super early to watch him while we raced...thanks Diane!

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the triathlon and will have to find another one to compete in soon. I was surprised at how much I liked it and at how well I managed to do. It will be fun to start mixing up my work-outs with biking and swimming...even though running is still my number 1.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

WHAT?! I can't believe you did it. I am SO afraid of the swim and bike. My sis-in-law asked me and I politley declined. I will have to chat with you about this.