
Owen is 4 months old now. I can't believe how fast time has gone since he was born. He weighs 14lbs. 2oz. now. He sleeps through the night (most nights), but has trouble taking naps. He is so curious about the world around him and about what I am doing at any given moment. He wants to be right by me every second of the day so he can watch what I am doing. He is totally aware that I will be awake doing something while he naps, so he fights sleep so he won't miss out on anything. He is so funny! Last night we had a little scare and had to take Owen to the emergency room. I don't want to get into the not so pretty details so I'll just say that he had some stuff in his stool that wasn't normal. The doctor checked him out and took a "sample" to be
analyzed. I am
anxiously awaiting the phone call with the results. In the meantime I have to monitor his temperature and his behavior and of course pay close attention to the content of all his dirty diapers. What a fun job! On a positive note, Owen is a wonderful baby and has made our lives more complete. He loves to smile and Spencer is really good at getting him to laugh. He recently discovered his feet and now switches between sucking on his hands and pulling on his toes. We love our son so much and love being his parents.
So what's with the socks on his hands??
We always get asked why Owen has socks on his hands. For those of you who don't know, Owen has severe baby eczema. He has really dry skin that gets red and
irritated very easily, and I'm sure it itches like crazy! He has it all over his body. No matter how short we cut his finger nails he is still able to scratch at his skin and will often cut himself. Since baby mittens don't stay on his hands we started putting socks on him to keep him from injuring himself. Owen does get "hand
privileges" during the day, but only when I can be right there to watch him. It only takes a second for him to scratch himself, and he is known to draw blood. Here's some pictures of what he has done to himself.

Whenever Owen is in the bath he automatically starts clawing at his chest and stomach. This is the most recent damage he has done.

So now you know why our son always has socks on his hands. Our poor little baby!! :(
5 comments:
Owen is so cute! Poor little guy, hope he get's feeling better soon! One other thing, (Some unsolicited advice) I'm not sure what you've tried, but my friend out here has a baby with bad eczema and she uses lacto-free formula, and hydrocortizone cream on his skin twice a day with Aquafore lotion in between! Good luck! PS, digi scrapping is much faster!!
Hey Holly, I say you on Jill's blog.
My son Ethan had very severe eczema too, we had to tape the socks on his ankles and hands so he wouldn't scratch, It was sad, and he was always bloody because he would figure out ways to tear them right off. and we only submerged bathed him like once a week to keep him from drying out. He is allergic to lots of foods and eczema is a reaction to allergies, so keep a close eye on him when you start solid foods.
Good luck!
Holly! I LOVE the pictures. Owen is A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E and gets cuter each day. I love his eyes. We cannot wait to visit you this summer. I hope everything turns out ok with the doctor. Keep us updated and let us know how things go.
That is so sad! I can't believe he is so happy in that picture with his chest all scratched up. What a cute little baby you guys have!!
I like the pictures, you can never post too many baby pictures! Owen is really cute. Sorry about the excema. My friend has had 2 kids with it and it doesn't look like fun. Sorry about your insurance/doctor issues too. I don't know much about Kaiser, but we have had our fair share of complaints about our insurance plan. Hopefully Owen is okay and they figure out what was wrong.
Post a Comment