Monday, April 1, 2013

Hollywood Hike

Spencer and I have lived in Southern California pretty much our entire lives, and it's crazy how many places we haven't been, and things we haven't done right here in our own backyard. Hiking to the Hollywood sign is something we both have always wanted to do so the day before Easter we decided to take advantage of the beautiful Spring weather and make it happen!!
 
I'm not sure if it was because it was a holiday weekend or if this hike is always popular, but the place was packed!! It took us probably 30 minutes to find a place to park near the trail head and then another 15 minutes to walk to the start of the hike from our car, but it really was worth it! I'm glad I researched the hike on-line ahead of time because there were a lot of trails and nothing was marked, we easily could have gotten lost and never made it to the sign even though there were a lot of people out hiking that day. This picture was taken only a few minutes after we started hiking.  
Even though we brought our double jogger, Spencer and I decided that the kids should try and walk as much as possible. The trail started off pretty steep so it was pretty difficult to push the older kids anyway. As you can see from this picture Owen was not happy about having to walk, he would have preferred to have ridden the entire way up....little stinker! Owen did have a couple of breakdowns, tears and all, but he did manage to walk about half of the way up before we let him rest in the stroller. Audrey, on the other hand, did great and didn't complain once. She enjoyed being in the dirt and being with her dad. Preston rode in the stroller all the way to the top, then I ended up carrying him back down the mountain...he was done being in there.
I was proud of Spencer and myself. Even though the boys were causing us a little bit of grief we remained calm and laughed it off. We were an amazing team pushing that stroller up the hill with all 3 kids in it at one point. I will say that I only saw 2 other strollers on the mountain and not another double. It was a tough hike and I don't think many people could have made it to the top pushing what we did. What can I say, we're pretty awesome!!
The next 2 pictures are of us at the top. Wish the air hadn't been so bad that day! Despite being a little grumpy Owen was pretty proud of himself once we reached the top. In case you can't tell, Spencer and I were drenched in sweat and pretty worn out...but WE DID IT!!

The hike down was a lot easier!! There was a lot less complaining and both Owen and Audrey pretty much walked the entire way down...woohoo! When we finally got to our car we were STARVING! We had originally planned to head over to the Griffith Observatory (another place we've never been) after the hike, but we were so exhausted we decided to hit up In-n-Out instead! So next trip will be to the Observatory and the Wax Museum if anyone would like to join us!!

1 comment:

aprilaleman said...

Give me a date and we are down. LOVE a day trip to LA anytime we can go!