Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Soccer Season

Last night Owen finished up his second season of soccer. He was on the Revolution and once again really enjoyed being part of a team. His skills have improved some, but he's still not crazy about having to run so much. Well, now that Owen is in the five year-old division they play with goalies whereas last season there weren't any goalies. Owen LOVED the idea of being the goalie and would always ask the coach to be goalie. I was a nervous wreck watching him tend the goal, but he surprised me and was able to actually stop a lot of the balls that came his way. Luckily for Owen, his team was actually really good on offensive so the ball rarely even came close to the opponent's goal. I was amazed at well some of the boys on Owen's team played the game, they were like little professionals!! It was fun to watch the team play.
I think you can see from the pictures why Owen enjoyed being the goalie so much!! These two pictures are a fair representation of what Owen did during the majority of every game.
Out running on the field. The boy on Owen's team closest to the ball was one of the two superstars on the team, it was incredible how good this kid actually was. He probably averaged 8 goals a game.
The team huddle. One of Owen's favorite things to do.
Since last night was the last game, the coach had each kid bring something for ice cream sundaes. As soon as the game was over the coach set up a table with all the ice cream and toppings and let the kids go to town. It was such a good idea and all the kids LOVED  making their own sundae.
The boys sitting and enjoying their ice cream. Quick funny story that is so Owen: Owen is a huge chocolate fan, so of course he loaded his bowl up with chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup, and m&m's. He devoured the entire bowl within a few minutes and even licked it clean. After he's eaten every last drop he heard one of the mom's say, "oh I'm so sorry, I hope none of the kids are allergic to nuts. I forgot that the chocolate ice cream had nuts in it." Immediately Owen started to freak out! (He's not allergic everyone!) He stood up and started clenching his stomach. "I don't feel good, those nuts made me sick!" Then he proceed to gag himself until he threw up all the ice cream right there on the grass in front of everyone.....talk about an embarrassing parent moment!! Such a little weirdo! But after he threw-up, he was fine. Go figure.
After everyone finished their ice cream, and Owen finished puking, the coach called each of the boys up and gave them a medal and certificate. He also said something nice about each kid. The coach said that Owen was the best team player and happiest kid on the team.
So thrilled with his medal. He went straight home and hung it on the wall in his room.
Overall it was a fun season. I'm going to miss the pee-wee sports once Owen turns six. I think we will get one more season in before that though. Next time I think Audrey is going to play soccer too. That should be interesting!!

No comments: